Tuesday 24 April 2012

Twin Tuesday: Tales from the Car

I have dubbed Tuesday "Twin Tuesday" as it is the day that I pick up M's pal for playgroup and drop off afterwards (at his house, just to clarify). Today they both sampled a new class called "Little Performers" in the morning too, so an extra pick up/drop off session (M and I got lunch in-between so we scored on this one). Nickname of "Twin Tuesday" because these two little bosom buddies weirdly look very similar, identical height and both slightly bonkers. Herein are the tales from the journey today.

En route to the class this morning, Toddler Boy starts singing.

Toddler Girl: "stop singing".

Toddler Boy: "I want to sing".

Me: "M let Toddler Boy sing, in fact let's all sing". Tries desperately to identify song to encourage sing-along.

Toddler Girl: (slightly raised voice) "stop singing!".

Toddler Boy still singing.

Toddler Girl (very raised voice) "stop singing!".

Toddler Boy (screaming) "I want to sing!".

Toddler Girl starts crying.

Toddler Boy keeps singing.

I turn up the radio.

Arrive at venue. Minor altercation with Toddler Girl whilst she insists on an umbrella and refuses to carry her bag. Diva. Toddler Boy stares at her, can almost hear him thinking "geezo chick, lighten up and let's get moving!". Thankfully a new and very awesome place then renders them both silent and I can lead them wide-eyed and open-mouthed to their class.

Then, a trip to the toilet whereby Toddler Girl tries to get in their first and in mid-flow of the sentence explaining why she must go first, Toddler boy yanks down his trousers and hops on the toilet. Hmmm Toddler Girl, actions speak louder than words my dear, but you will learn. I giggle which possible helps avert Toddler Girl's tears.

After class, same bag/brella saga from Toddler Girl. Sigh. Other people's kids are sometimes way better than your own.

Both fall asleep on journey back to Toddler Boy's house. Exhausting class obviously. Don't think the "Sleepytime classics" CD I put on for them had anything to do with the snooze really... (okay, maybe a bit, this CD is amazing, a must buy really!). Both wake slightly grumpy, but managed some lunch, then back in the car to playgroup. Toddler Girl clingy, Toddler Boy won't wear his jacket.

Arrive at playgroup. Toddler Girl still won't carry her rucksack, then asks for it as we are crossing the road. Toddler Boy asks for his jacket at the same time. I hear my own slightly high-pitched voice saying: "we're in the middle of the road, please walk and then we can figure this out once safe and sound on the other side". Toddler Girl asks what "sound" means and Toddler Boy asks me where I got my ring from. I start to giggle hysterically.

En route home from playgroup, they are both high as kites and playing a game whereby Toddler Girl's soft toy cat is being used as a ball. Mucho giggles from Toddler Girl as Toddler Boy flings cat around the backseat. I imagine this is how 3 year olds flirt. Toddler Girl then asks to hold Toddler Boy's hand, he obliges and I think how sweet, until I remember Toddler Boy is in a booster seat and when I glance in the rearview mirror, he is half lying across the back seats to reach Toddler Girl's hand. This is clearly not safe and I wildly start reaching behind me and try to convince Toddler Boy to sit up and Toddler Girl to let his (now) arm go! A short result for me and still more giggles from the back seat.

Arriving at Toddler Boy's house, they throw a casual "see you tomorrow" at each other and I get a cuddle from Toddler Boy. Bliss. They really are a beloved pair these two.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, friends for life!! Toddler flirting - sing to her, then jump on the toilet first (how rude!), throw a teddy around then hold hands, awwww!! R Xx

    ReplyDelete